Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Bubbles

No, Bubbles wasn't a stripper. For some reason, it's the name I decided to give my first car. It was a 1987 Honda Accord, and I loved that car. If I remember correctly, the technical color of the car was "Champagne", so I'm pretty sure that's what led to the name Bubbles. I did not have this car, which was previously my Dad's car, until I was going into my sophomore year in college. That means that it was already 10 years old when I started driving it. Most of my high school driving experiences were done in my mom's awesome minivan. Although this wasn't an ideal ride for a high school student, I could always fit my friends in it, and it never hindered us from having fun! We, of course, had to call it the Party Wagon. One of the memories in that car that sticks out the most is when I was riding in the passenger seat as my brother was driving one day. He told me to watch out and then proceeded to spit a lugi over me and out my window. However, he didn't quite make it out the window. Instead, it attached just above the window and then just dangled. EWWWW!

Back to my girl, Bubbles. I think the previous owner smoked some sort of pipe or something, because that car had a sweet and distinct smell. And I liked it. The tint was bubbling, the paint was coming off in spots, and the sunroof leaked if the car wasn't parked on a downhill slope when it was raining. But she was a great car. After I graduated from college and actually had a steady and decent income, I purchased a newer version of the same car... but in red and with a spoiler. My dad still goes on about how ridiculous of a splurge that spoiler was. :) Or actually, I think it's the fact that I let on to salesman that a spoiler was a must. I think my dad saw that as dollar signs just flying right out of my mouth! When we sold Bubbles, she was 13 years old and had traveled over 200,000 miles. What a great car!

amelia

5 comments:

  1. I had the same car, minus the sun roof, as my first car. Mine was an effeminate male, named Norman and he sure did provide some fun during high school. I still see 87' Accords on the road and it makes me want to find another

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so funny that we had the same car, Jamie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bubbles? Really? You'd think I'd remember that. Actually all this first car posting is making me realize that I officially don't remember a lot of things correctly. For instance, I could have sworn you drove that car in high school. I have fond memories of the party wagon, but I remember driving around listening to Blister in the Sun and Shoop on a mix tape in the Honda. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary - I probably did drive it some in late high school or early college while home on breaks. I'm absolutely positive that car tape was played many a time in that car. Ah, the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot the name, too, Mary! But as soon as Amelia said it, I remembered. Bubbles. I remember how you sometimes had to kick the dashboard a little to get the radio to work. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete