Friday, September 17, 2010

Just Do It

First - a rant:
Can someone please tell me why Blogger sucks so much?  It should not be this hard to make a post show up with correct formatting.  I kind of expect to just be able to type, format, and post, and then have it show up on the screen just like I did it in the editor.  Or maybe hit return, and actually have the cursor move down a line.  CALL ME CRAZY.  Seriously, Blogger, you. are. making. me. crazy.  And a little cranky.  Obviously.

And on to our topic.

Being something of a shy bird on the outside, I sometimes have trouble finding ways to serve.  I head up the Charitable Events Committee at work - but that's part of my job, so I don't really feel like it counts.  It's also kind of a beating (because of the whole work aspect of it) and that pretty much takes the right attitude out of the equation.  In spite of that, I have been lucky to work with several great organizations over the past few years (Scottish Rite Hospital for Children, JDRF, Habitat for Humanity), and it has opened my eyes and increased my gratitude.  It's crucial to look outside of yourself from time to time, and see that your particular set of problems may not be quite as challenging as you think.  To see people walking through a difficult set of circumstances with grace can be a great attitude adjuster.    

I've been giving a lot of thought to other ways I can serve outside of my required service at work. Mark & I joined a new church a few months ago, and I've been keeping an eye out for ways that I can get involved there.  It's hard for me to walk into a situation where I don't know anyone and offer to help.  That's probably true for a lot of people, but what I've realized is that I just need to get over myself.  I know I've already missed some great opportunities by second guessing myself.  The first time may be uncomfortable, but it's not going to kill me, and eventually, I may even get to know a few people that way.  What a novel idea.

As far as serving in the community, I've thought about volunteering at the new animal shelter by my house, but I decided that would be disastrous.  The types of things I'm drawn to do are often the things that would emotionally suck the life out of me.  We would end up with 8 dogs (minimum) if I started working with homeless animals.  Either that or I would come home crying every time I volunteered!  

So what's a girl to do?  I found a couple of great websites that just might have the answer to that question.  Volunteer Match, United We Serve, and the Volunteer Center of North Texas (for you local peeps), can help you find volunteer opportunities in your area.  I was amazed to see how many different ways I could get involved, all within 15 miles of my house.  Stay tuned, I'm excited to see where this takes me.  And I'd love to hear of ways our readers get involved too, so come out of the woodwork and comment!

Mary

2 comments:

  1. If we have readers in the woodwork, would that make them like termites? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good little reader termites, not of the house eating variety.

    ReplyDelete