Sunday, September 19, 2010

Serve Others

We are all given various gifts/talents, and it is God's desire that we use those gifts/talents to reach out to those around us, whether it be in church or in our community. I encourage you to think about what you enjoying doing and then find something in your church or in your community and get involved. For example, I like working with younger kids, so I will help out on Sundays in my church's Preschool Ministry. I also recently started helping out in a program our church started up for 3-5 year olds called Faith Builders. I signed up to tell the Bible story to the 3-year-olds and also help our coordinator, but as God would have it, our coordinator had to move off and so now I am taking on that role. It fits my personality though, so I don't mind one bit.

I am also involved in my community, through the American Cancer Society Relay for Life. I previously shared my experience with the Relay for Life in this blog before, which you can find here, so I won't go into detail. I just want to say that I got involved with this event because I wanted to find a way to honor my Grandad Moseley and Mema, who both died of cancer. The Relay was a way for me to remember them and also raise money in the fight against cancer. I'm excited as preparations are underway for the 2011 Relay and this year I'll have a more active role on the committee. If you're interested in participating in the Relay, let me know as I'd love to have you on my team...or you can form your own!

So really, serving is just finding something you're good at or finding a cause that's important to you and then getting involved in some way.

"Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms." 1 Peter 4:10

Cass

No comments:

Post a Comment