Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Serving

When I found out what we were writing about this week, I was like hmmm. I could tell you about how I do all of the laundry, wash all of the dishes, cook (or at least heat up!) all of the food, clean the house (sometimes), etc... I do believe all of those things are very important, apparently so important that nobody else who lives here even knows how those things are done! Amazing. But I won't bore you with all of that. I do have to say, though, that all of those things can be done with many different attitudes (trust me, I have many different ones), but when I have an attitude of service, it is a much more pleasant "job."

I believe we are all called to serve in some form or fashion. Right now, although I am able to do small things here and there, I do not have the ability to serve outside my home in a steady (i.e. weekly) commitment. I worked with the student ministry at our church shortly after I graduated from college (2000 or 2001-ish), and that was probably the most rewarding "service" I have ever done. That wasn't the reason for doing it, but it turned out to be a pretty awesome thing for me in return. I started out with a small group of eighth graders, and now they have almost all graduated from college. Although this fact makes me feel quite old, it brings me so much joy to see these girls walking with the Lord and still striving to grow in their walks with Him. I admire these incredible women so much. This group grew from four to plenty more over the years, and I was able to lead that group up until we moved to Oklahoma City in 2005, right around the time most of them graduated high school. I learned so much from them, and hopefully they learned something from me. I believe the Lord knew exactly what He was doing (He is God and all - duh.) when He put our group together. I am blessed to still be tight with many of these girls, and I love that all of these friendships are a result of me saying, "Sure, God. I'll try that if you want me to." I would love to be able to serve with high school students or even college students in the near future. I pray that the Lord will show me His timing in this, because I really do miss it.

Here's the original gang...
And a couple others. I have a big group picture that has EVERYBODY in it, but I couldn't find it on my backup drive to post it. So if you're reading this and don't see your picture, just know that you are special enough to be on the wall in my house. :)


And now for my random note: It has been brought to my attention that those who subscribe to our RSS feeds (I say that like I actually understand how that works!?!) and view the blog on their iphone cannot see the label to know who actually wrote the post. So, for Courtney (and maybe two other people), we will start signing our posts again. You're welcome. :)

Ameeeeeeeeelia

3 comments:

  1. Ahem... those of us who use the RSS feed appreciate it!

    But on a more important note, you have made a difference in EACH of our lives!!!! God has used you in even more mighty ways than you could imagine!

    LOVE YOU!!!
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to say that you serve others with your amazing gift of photography. You capture so many precious moments and don't ask for anything in return. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, sweet friends!! Love you both so much!!

    ReplyDelete