Sunday, June 20, 2010

A Pinch of This

Let me start off by saying Happy Father's Day (to maybe the handful of men who read our blog). Hope you were blessed beyond measure today.

To finish off our week on recipes, here are a few you might enjoy:

Recipe for a Happy Marriage (for the husband and wife)


1 cup consideration

1 cup courtesy

2 cupfuls flattery carefully concealed

1 gallon faith and trust in each other

2 cupfuls praise

1 small pinch of in-laws

1 reasonable budget, a generous dash of cooperation

3 teaspoon pure extract of "I'm sorry"

1 cup contentment

1 cup each confidence and encouragement

1 large or several small hobbies

1 cup blindness to the other's faults

Flavor with frequent portions of recreation and a dash of happy memories. Stir well and remove any specks of jealousy, temper or criticism. Sweeten well with generous portions of love and keep warm with a steady flame of devotion. Never serve with cold shoulder.


Inedible Play Dough Recipe (for the kids)


1 cup flour

1/2 cup salt

1 tbls cooking oil

1 cup water

2 tsp cream of tartar

Food coloring


In heavy aluminum saucepan, mix dry ingredients. Add oil, water, and food coloring. Cook 3 minutes or until mixture pulls away from sides of pan. May add a few drops of oil of wintergreen, cloves, or cinnamon to give a more pleasant aroma. Knead slightly, almost immediately. Store in airtight container. Will keep several weeks. Has a pleasing texture.


Probably cheaper than store bought play dough and the kiddos will love helping make it.


And finally, I'd like to share a yummy staple we had growing up and which I've used several times since I got married (though my husband would probably say every week if not every other week):


Enchilada Casserole (for the whole family)


2 lb. ground chuck (hamburger meat) (though for just me and Scott I usually use 1 lb.)

2 cup grated cheese (we like cheese, so I use more than 2 cups)

10-12 corn tortillas

1/2 medium onion (chopped) (I do not like onions, so this doesn't go in my casserole)

1 (14 oz.) can enchilada sauce


In heavy skillet cook chopped onions and ground meat until done. Line a large baking pan with a layer of tortillas (usually 4). Layer meat and onion mixture, cheese and sauce over tortillas. Repeat. Place remaining tortillas on top and pour sauce over all covering all tortillas. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes, until hot and bubbly and cheese is melted.


Serve with your choice of beans and/or rice and chips and salsa. YUM!


Have a blessed week!

Cass



1 comment:

  1. Thanks Cass! I am making this casserole THIS week. Sounds delicious and I love mexican . . . win-win in my book!
    Tif

    ReplyDelete