Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Happy Anniversary to Us!

We've been blogging for a year now, friends! And like Beth said, we're going to be doing some theme weeks, so watch out! And if you have any ideas on themes you would like to see us all write about, please comment with suggestions.

I'm going to take this recipe thing in just a slightly different direction. Not like from East to West type of thing, more like from East to just a little bit Northeast. Anyway... I know I am always trying to come up with fun ideas for my children's birthday parties. Last year, Aidan was turing five (I know, how is that even possible?!), and he told me he wanted a knight birthday party. Okay. So I did some thinking, internet searching, etc. and came up with some decent ideas. I'll start with the food, since that goes with our theme. We had the following:

For the cake, we used a 9x13 pan and then just cut part of the cake to make the shield shape.

We had Dragon Scales (Doritos) and Dragon Eggs (grapes).

Dragon Snot Punch - This was a huge hit with the kids. Simply mix lime sherbet with Sprite or 7-up.

Shield Cupcakes - For these shields, my mom (gotta give props!) melted chocolate into the shield shapes on wax paper, let that set, and then used melted white chocolate to drizzle the cross on the shield.

Princess Popcorn - Well, since we had some little princesses at this party along with all those husky knights, we had to do something in honor of the ladies. Actually, it's just the only way I could think to name the popcorn. This popcorn is so yummy and SO easy! I use the Orville Redenbacher Natural Popcorn and then white chocolate chips. You can use food coloring if you need to make it a specific color. I used a little red here to make the chocolate pink. I usually pop two bags and then melt somewhere between 1/4 to 1/2 cup white chocolate chips. I'm not super precise on this, which means Mary will never try this. She likes exact measurements. :) Follow the instructions on the bag of chips, because it's easy to burn them in the microwave... and that really stinks, especially when it's the last of the bag that you use. And you don't want to totally saturate the popcorn, or it will get mushy. I usually drizzle a light layer, then stir it around and drizzle again. Then I let it sit for a little while before serving it.
This has nothing to do with the food, but I made these flags to go along with our theme. Simple and cheap!

Happy Humpday!





No comments:

Post a Comment