Sunday, June 13, 2010

Hot or Cold

You know when you've had something on your mind that you know you need to work on and then God affirms those thoughts by either a sermon or bible study lesson at church or an encouraging word from a friend? Well that is exactly what has happened to me in the last couple of weeks. I'm about to be vulnerable and let you know that I have been struggling in my spiritual life for quite some time now. More specifically, my prayer life and my time spent in God's word has been, shall we say, lukewarm. Sure, I can say a prayer here and there when something comes to mind, but there's not a set aside time of my day that is spent in prayer. The same goes for reading my Bible. This has been on my heart lately and God, in his own special way, has shown me that he knows my heart.

Last Sunday we were in our Connection Class (like Sunday School) and the guys and girls split up for a more gender-specific lesson. Well lo and behold, the ladies lesson was about being lukewarm in our spiritual life and how God would rather us be either hot or cold. Revelation 3:15-16 says, "I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm - neither hot nor cold - I am about to spit you out of my mouth." Talk about a slap in this girl's face. God doesn't want me to be lukewarm in my spiritual life...He'd rather me be either on fire for him or cold as ice. And oh how I long to be on fire for him. The lesson was also about how we need to be praying for our husband, another area that I need to work on, and how we need to be accountable to one another as wives. I don't know about you, but when I know that someone is going to be asking me how I'm doing in a certain area I want to be able to have a good answer...I want to be able to say "yes, I'm doing that."

Another God moment happened this morning, again in my Connection Class. Our teacher was talking about our spiritual life and the ways that people 'get close to God.' What I loved about the lesson was that he said that we were all created uniquely and that we all have a unique relationship with God...so my relationship with God is not like anyone else's relationship. He also said that the main measure of your relationship with God is not your devotional life but simply your life (and how you live it). He then asked us what kinds of things we do to renew our spiritual growth. And again, it's not the same for each person. Some may find that listening to worship music does it, or helping others, or reading books/devotionals...this is your unique relationship. So the question is, "what brings you life?" I encourage you to sit down and figure out what it is that you do to renew your spiritual growth.

Thank you for letting me be vulnerable here. As you can see, I am not perfect. I am, however, a child of God, whose sins have been forgiven and am covered with His grace.

Have a blessed week!
Cass

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for being so vulnerable. I love the insight from your teacher about how we all have a unique relationship with Him.

    ReplyDelete