Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Fly High and Sweat

In the great Metroplex, there are so many fun things to do. I could probably use some fresh ideas myself, but one new thing we did recently was attend a birthday party at the Frontiers of Flight Museum near Love Field Airport.
They have a fantastic children's area. In fact, we never even made it to the portion of the museum for grown-ups. The children's area included the front portion of a REAL Southwest Airlines airplane. The kids were able to climb up into the plane, buckle in, pretend in the flight attendant area, etc. I think this was their favorite spot. There was also a huge bounce house, a slide, an air control tower. There was another airplane that seated 6 or 8 people, plus two pilots. They really enjoyed playing in that one as well. I had never heard of this museum, so surely there's someone else out there who didn't know about it! The party was great, and the kids were worn out by the time we left. I call that a success. Oh, they also had a small theatre of sorts where the children can push a button to start a Jay Jay the Jet Plane show. From what I saw, they really just enjoyed pushing the buttons more than actually sitting still and watching the movie. Surprise.

One more kid-friendly suggestion I have for you is going to the Dallas Arboretum in August. That's right, in the heat of the summer! We went last year, and they were having Dollar Days. Now I think the Arboretum is a spectacular place, but in my opinion, it's not worth the full price admission to drive all of the way over there with younger children. It's pretty pricy. But if they do that again during the month of August, I highly recommend it. The children especially enjoyed the log cabin area. They could have played and pretended there all day, and it's nice that they can play inside the cabins (in the shade)! I had my children and my niece and nephew with me, and they all (ages 1 to 11) loved it. I definitely hope to make another trip over there this summer.


I have to add this in. I just called to see if they would be offering that special this August, and they said they did not yet know. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Are there any fun things you have to share, wherever you are?



No comments:

Post a Comment