Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Walmart VS Target

Just the title of this one probably made some of you get defensive!  Which is your favorite?  And why?!  I love them both.  For grocery shopping, Walmart would be my pick.  I find that prices are usually lower on the items I frequently purchase.  I also think I am less tempted to shop for unnecessary purchases when I am at Walmart.  Target's home department beats Walmart by a landslide.  However, Walmart has a MUCH easier-to-deal-with return policy.  To put it plainly, I think Target's return policy stinks.  I do have to give Target props for a great baby department, though.  Walmart's baby department has definitely improved over the past few years, but Target would still be the winner in this category.  I did find it annoying when we purchased our first baby crib from Target and couldn't have it shipped to the store (for free).  I just hate to pay shipping charges if it can be avoided, and this is a nice perk Walmart offers through their "site to store" option.  I recently purchased some baby safety items through their website and had them shipped to the store, and I would definitely recommend it.  As far as clothing goes... unless you want an Ocean Pacific tank with a multi-colored palm tree on the front, I think Target is the best bet.  Now, now.  I'm just kidding.  I do believe Walmart has come a ways in this area as well, but they still have a very long way to go.  I did, however, find a pair of sweat shorts (or sweats shorts? - just the fact that I don't know how to write that should give me a clue that I shouldn't have bought them.  Stacy and Clinton would be so disappointed!)  Anyway... back to sweat shorts - they were $5, extremely comfortable (as sloppy "mom clothes" should be), and to top it all off, they have a nice tramp stamp (tattoo looking design) on the top back.  NICE.  Don't worry - these are strictly for around the house and an occasional trip to Home Depot (or Lowe's - and that's another good rivalry, but I won't get into that here). Oh, and one more thing.  I really would rather not go to either of these stores on a weekend, but I think I would choose Target if I had to go on a weekend.  Walmart seems to bring out the weekend crazies (as does Grapevine Mills Mall, which Beth referred to in another post.  I forgot to reply to that, but it is also a much nicer place on a weekday morning when it first opens)!  This is one of the perks of being a SAHM - being able to go grocery shopping at 8:00 am (I know some of you actually have kids that sleep in past that - lucky you!) on a weekday.  It is so nice to shop when there aren't many other people in the store.  So I said one more thing, but now I have just ONE MORE.... I can't stand the check-out lines at either store.  I guess they both just have all of those fifty registers for Christmas Eve only, because I have never seen more than a few of them open at either store.  It is nice that Walmart has the self check-out option, but it's also annoying trying to do a self check-out with a bunch of items and three tired-of-shopping, fidgety, whiney kids.  If they would both just have enough registers open, wouldn't  we all just be a bunch of happy shoppers?!  Suffice it to say, I think Target and Walmart are both great for different reasons, and I can't imagine my little suburban world without either of them.

And one last thought.  I would like to go ahead and nominate myself for the "most rambling blogger" of the group.  That's how my brain works.  Hope you could at least somewhat follow!  :)

Happy Humpday!
amelia

4 comments:

  1. Love the blog Amelia! I agree with you on both stores. I mainly shop at walmart just for food and Target is my store for baby things and other stuff. I will have to say Walmart is better in the early morning. IF you go there in the evening or weekend you will probably see something you really don't want to see like a 300 pounder with a bikini top on and cut off shorts. NOT GOOD! Back to Target I will have to say they don't have a great sellection of workout clothing but thats what Academy and Sports Authority are for. Well you have a great Hump day too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually a local news station compared Walmart, Target, Kroger and one other grocery store (can't remember). And Target actually turned out to be the cheapest. I wish we had a Super Target here!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Target for sure! I cringe going to Wal-Mart! I pray for favor before I even get out of my car, after I have circled the parking lot 10 times to find a spot that's not a mile away! However I make myself go to save that $10 a week. Brad swears it adds up! Little does he know that I buy new pajamas or new underwear or school supplies every time I go! I'm better sticking with Kroger. Love you and thanks for the great blog! Let's sneak off to Bahama Bucks one night when Chris is babysitting so you can really enjoy yours! Tell those precious kiddos hi for me!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I avoid Wal-Mart like the plague!! Parking is always a total nightmare and it takes several lifetomes to check out (and it always seems like the sel-checkout kiosks are broken!!). I probably haven't been to WM in six months...or more!!! Target all the way for me!

    ReplyDelete