Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Corn & Coke

So I really dislike corn mixed with other food.  Thinking about corn in my salsa now just gives me the heebie jeebies (SP?!).  Or corn floating around in soup???  WHY?!  Creamed corn grosses me out as well... I guess because it has chunky corn in it.  And let's not even get into the whole "what corn does after you eat it" discussion!  However, I love cornbread, corn on the cob, and corn off the cob (as long as it's all by itself).  Oh, and apparently I also love high fructose CORN syrup, because I just can't get enough Dr. Pepper.  Which brings me to another thing...

Do you like your soda over ice (fountain drink), in a can, or in a bottle?  We have a neato little gadget quiz on the side, so please weigh in.  I very strongly prefer a good fountain drink, preferably in a styrofoam cup (sorry, Earth).  I thought most people also had this preference, but I was shocked to find out on a recent trip that two of my best friends prefer the plastic bottles.  How did I never know this about them.  And why does this seem like a significant discovery?!  I don't know, but it is.  They like the fact that coke (no, not necessarily Coca-Cola, but some of us refer to any soda as "coke") from a bottle tastes exactly the same every single time.  It's dependable.  Me - I'm a fairly slow drinker, and coke from the bottle does not stay cold long enough for me.  I like mine as cold as can be, and there's also just something about having that ice in there to keep my coke company.  But they're right.  Sometimes you get a fountain drink that's just "off."  That can totally ruin one's snack, meal, or if you really have nothing else better to get cranky about, DAY.  Oh, and lets not forget the ol' can.  I think I would actually prefer a can over a bottle, but I'm not sure why.  But then you get into the issue of whether rats or other pests have pooped on your can while in transit or storage.  And that's just gross, so I'll leave it at that.  Oh, but wait.  When I do have a can, I tap on the top before opening it.  Someone once told me that would keep it from spewing.  Is this true?  My dear husband humorously mocks me almost every time I do this out of habit.  Maybe we should do a test science-fair-project style.  But I would rather someone just tell me if they already know.  So if you know, please share!

Hope all of your "cokes" are just right today (and free from corn floaties, for that matter)!

8 comments:

  1. I like the bottle the best because the fizz factor is more important to me than the temperature factor and I have the perception (whether accurate or not) that the fizz stays the strongest the longest in a bottle, which I can reclose between sips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is hilarious. I tap on the top of the can every time too - I don't even know when I started doing that but it's just habit now. Every once in awhile I catch myself doing it and think it's kind of funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer fountain drinks too! I have never had a bad coke at Sonic! Ooo I think I might go to Sonic this afternoon for Happy Hour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I mentioned Sunday, I prefer bottled drinks...though, Beth brought up Sonic and I have to agree that I like Sonic drinks...they don't ever taste bad to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tap cans too- that's funny! I do prefer a fountain drink over anything else- yummy! In fact, I am drinking one that I got from Chikfila for lunch...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't drink many "cokes" (as true Texans call all soft drinks), but when I do, I also prefer fountain drinks with lots of ice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a Dr Pepper employee I can tell you that cans are sanitized and inverted right before filling with soda so no poop worries, ok!! I prefer Fountain and bottles over cans, but not because of any industry secrets, just a taste issue for me. And thanks for the Dr Pepper support!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I prefer fountain drinks with lots of ice. It has to be really cold.

    ReplyDelete