Friday, July 3, 2009

Vacay

I hear that's what the kids are calling it these days.

There are 2.3 days remaining in the only full week of vacation I’ve had this year. The funny thing is – I’ve been calculating my remaining time off since I left work at 7:00 pm last Friday, trying to savor every second. And as usual, it has passed too quickly. I miss days that drag out forever. That seems to be a phenomenon that mysteriously disappears when you reach adulthood. Why is that? Why is it that as adults we spend our free time so aware of when it will end? Is that just me? I don’t know, maybe it’s just been too long since I’ve sat on a beach with my toes in the sand. Maybe that’s the miracle cure.

Not to say I didn’t enjoy my week off. I did things that needed to be done, I visited with friends I don’t see enough, I slept in, I snuggled my dogs, I worked on a project I’ve been putting off forever. But the part that I enjoyed the most was that feeling anything was possible. I could go to a movie with my husband at 7:30 on a Sunday night without stressing out about whether I would be tired Monday morning. I could use a little more of that in my everyday life. I get so stuck in the routine of up at 5:30, stress my way through the day, get home, take the dogs out, make dinner, watch some tv, go to bed at a decent hour. Wash, rinse, repeat.

So in spite of the feeling of impending doom (ha), I think I remembered something valuable this week – sometimes just relaxing and not thinking about tomorrow is the best medicine out there. And there’s really no reason I can’t do that all the time. (Well, no reason other than the fact that my brain does not naturally function that way – at all.) But you know, work will always be busy and stressful, and really - so what if I’m tired on a Monday morning? How much more would I enjoy life if I could just stop worrying about tomorrow and live in the moment a little more often? I think quite a lot. It’s something I really want to work on.

Oh, and those closets we talked about last week…didn’t touch ‘em and couldn’t be happier about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment