Monday, July 19, 2010


So this week we are blogging about our favorite vacation. But before I get to that I have to talk about the event that rocked my world this past Friday.

Friday was a normal day. Did our normal routine. When I got Reagan up from her nap she had 102 temp, but had not shown any signs of being sick. So I gave her meds to bring down her fever and then came downstairs to play for a little bit before lunch. My husband John had come home for lunch to mow (his parents were flying in that afternoon). He had finished mowing and came in to grab a quick bite before going back to work. He gave Reagan a couple of pieces of cantaloupe and turned to me to get some more and when I looked at Reagan she was hunched over to one side, her eyes had rolled into the back of her head and she was shaking. I screamed for John. He rushed over and grabbed her out of the seat. We thought she was choking so he did the heimlich, but there was nothing there which meant she was having a seizure. She started turning blue and I called 911 while he breathed into her. Ambulance on the way, she started breathing but was totally limp and moaning. She slowly started being able to move her legs and arms. Ambulance showed and up and took her. I rode in the front and John followed behind in the truck. We got to the ER and they hooked her up to all the machines. By that time she was screaming and crying. She was saying mommy and daddy and Abby (her doll) and giving high fives and kisses. Another one of our pastors came in to make sure we were ok and he offered to pick up John's parents from the airport. Very grateful for that! They put in an IV in Reagan and drew some blood for tests and took some x-rays. We were there almost 5 hrs. The x-ray showed a little bit of bronchitis which caused the fever. Which caused the febrile seizure that she had. The ER dr. said that 1 out of 25 children have a febrile seizure and 1% of those children have more than one (we are hoping and praying she is not in that 1%). She checked out just fine and we got a prescription. The next day you would never have known Reagan had a seizure. She was back to her normal crazy fun self. Today I took her to her pediatrician to do a follow up and Reagan checked out just fine. I am so thankful to the Lord that He protected my precious baby girl! It was the scariest moment of my entire life, but I can clearly see the Lord's protection over our family! And I have to give props to my husband for just doing what needed to be done without any hesitation or freezing up. And as a result of this event, I am definitely going to get CPR and First Aid certified and I encourage all of you to do so!!! Here is my husbands blog post about what happened.

So on a lighter note.... John and I have been on several amazing vacations. But my all time favorite vacation was our trip to NYC we took 2 years ago. John surprised me for my 30th birthday with a 6 night/7 day trip to New York. We stayed in the DoubleTree (a couple of blocks from Time Square). And if you have ever stayed at a DoubleTree you know they have the most amazing chocolate chip cookies ever. I mean ever! We had such a great time eating at incredible restaurants and sightseeing. Here is a brief list of all the things we did.

Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island
took the subway down to Ground Zero
cruise down the Hudson River and up the East River
top of the Empire State Building
toured NBC studios and SNL stage
top of the Rock (whoa that was high up)
American Museum of Natural History

But the highlight of our trip was going to see Mary Poppins on Broadway. We got to sit on the 2nd row and it was just phenomenal!! It was just an absolute fabulous vacation and I can't wait to go back! Here is a pic of us on top the Empire State Building.

No comments:

Post a Comment