Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The New Girl

Around the time that we decided this would be our topic for this week, I had been invited (along with every other woman in my neighborhood) to attend a Book/Bible Study. So that gave me the extra push to just go. I have met several ladies on my street, but I would not say I have become friends with anyone in my neighborhood to this point. My son is beginning kindergarten in August, and I have really been wanting to get to know some families who have boys around his age. Another reason I wanted to attend was to meet some other Christian women in my community. But there were several reasons not to go, the main one being the fact that I would not know a single person there. I thought it could be awkward.... and it was awkward, but only as long as I allowed myself to feel that way. I could tell right away that a lot of the women there already knew one another. We came in, got a name tag (There were around 20-25 women there, so I was really thankful for the name tags.), then we got a name tag on our back to play that really difficult game where you have to guess who you are by asking yes/no questions. Ah, icebreakers. And I'm even one of those "game people." Once I finally figured out I was Queen Latifah, we sat and went around telling a little information about ourselves. We're reading the book Girl Talk: Getting Past the Chitchat (A Modern Girl's Bible Study) by Jen Hatmaker. It's a really long title. She starts out talking about saggy boobs and swimsuit shopping, so we're off to a good start! I think there are some really neat women there, and I'm hoping to get to know some of them better. So I went the next week, and it was possibly even more awkward at first. Several people were already there, and there were already two groups of 2 or 3 ladies in the middle of conversations. Weird. Do I just stand here? Go sit down?? But nobody else is sitting yet, but nobody is acknowledging that I'm standing here so awkwardly either.... ahhhhhhhh!!! It all worked out fine. I'll probably just get there a little later next time. :) Anyway, I did it. I did something new, and it felt good... and weird. I think it has definitely been a good reminder for me to be more conscious of new people in group settings. I think our study is six weeks long, so I'll let you know how it all goes by the time all is said and done. Oh, and we've been invited to one of the leader's homes for dinner, so I'm making friends already. Bonus - she has a son starting kindergarten with mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment