Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Dipes 'n Wipes

Some of you may know that Pampers recently changed some things about their diapers, and it hasn’t been a smooth transition, to say the least. Just search for “Pampers” with Google News and you’ll find hundreds of articles about the situation. We are a Pampers family here at Casa Sweeney and, personally, we haven’t noticed anything problematic with the new diapers. I have a friend at work, though, whose two-year-old son got a very strange-looking blistery burn on his little hiney while wearing one of the new Pampers diapers, and he’s not the only one. Weird rashes and sores that resemble chemical burns are chief complaints about the new “Dry Max” technology. Coincidence? Who knows.

What I do know is that all this focus on disposable diapers was the final push I needed to act on a concept I’ve been considering since before I was even pregnant – CLOTH DIAPERS. Unlike my fellow blogger, Staci (a veteran CDer), I’m no expert and I don’t claim to be. However, I’ve done a lot of research and I’m really excited to make the switch! It’s weird for me to use the word “excited” about something related to diapers, but there you have it. I may be wrong, but I have a feeling I’ll wish we had been doing this since the beginning. We’ve settled on the Bumgenius one-size pocket diaper system, and our 24-pack supply shipped from clothdiapersnmore.com this morning! I’m somewhat glad I ordered those diapers before I stumbled on greenmountaindiapers.com because I’m afraid I would have decided to go super-retro with Indian prefolds and pins and gotten in over my head. Maybe that will be my fallback if for some reason the Bumgenius thing doesn’t work out!

Very soon, I’ll be making a trip to one of the cloth diaper resources in town to scope out additional gear we may (or may not) need to cloth diaper successfully. Call me crazy, but I’m even considering using reusable/washable wipes. (I mentioned this to Adam and he could barely contain his excitement…NOT!).

No comments:

Post a Comment