Saturday, May 29, 2010

Baby Steps

My quest to start eating some real food led us to the Coppell Farmers Market this morning.  We got there just as the heat started to kick up, and I realized that summer in Texas has just about arrived.  Oh, summer, my arch nemesis.  Burning hot steering wheels and car seats singeing your bare flesh, humidity that makes you feel like you're breathing through a snorkel, and that fabulous layer of sweat that springs up on my brow the second I walk outside.  I'm trying to like you summer, really I am, but you're just so dang hot.  Anyway, what were we talking about?  Oh yes, vegetables.

I have to admit, I was a little intimidated by the market, but I decided to get over myself and just ask if I didn't know what something was.  I probably asked a few dumb questions, but really?  Who cares?  I now know what turnip greens look like, and that cherry tomatoes that are different colors aren't different varieties, they're just varying levels of ripeness.  And if you store them in some sunshine, they'll keep ripening and the green ones will be just about ready by the end of the week.  My vegetable education continues.

We didn't make too many adventurous choices (it's also a pretty small market), but check out our $11 bounty:


Not a bad start right?  You can't really tell by the picture, but those were some ginormous strawberries.  I got home wishing I had bought more potatoes, and at least taste-tested the homemade lavender sorbet, but that's just more motivation to go back next week!  The fresh Wildflower Honey we bought didn't make the photo shoot, but it did make an appearance on some fresh strawberries for our breakfast.  I'm looking forward to grilled squash and zucchini with dinner tonight, and roasted herb potatoes tomorrow.  Maybe it's not so hard to incorporate veggies after all.  I think I could get used to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment