Tuesday, December 22, 2009

It's Christmas Eve Eve Eve!

Christmas will be here in a few days! I love Christmas. It's different than it used to be, of course; I definitely miss the weeks (or month) vacation that I used to get when I was in school. Sometimes the season seems to just pass right by because work goes on whether 'tis the season or not. The "presents" part of Christmas is a lot different now, too. Personally, I'm at a point in my life where I could pretty much do without that part. Maybe that makes me sound like a grinch, but it seems like every year I am less and less interested in feeding into the consumerism of the season. (While this isn't the point of my post, I urge you all to check out http://www.adventconspiracy.org/. Read about it, watch the videos, and tell me if it doesn't make you think really really hard about priorities.)

However, I do think that, done with a rational approach, gifts for kids at Christmas is a must. Asher is still too young to really get into Christmas this year, so Adam and I aren't doing much for him this time around, but we certainly plan to have many memorable gift-related Christmas moments in the future. Which leads me to what IS the point of my post: my most memorable Christmas gifts. Not surprisingly, they are the ones that were the most personal. I mean, sure, I remember the year I got my boombox, my first leather jacket, etc., but here are the ones that meant the most to me:

1. One year when I was about 7 or 8, I had a lot of small wrapped gifts under the tree. Each of them ended up being a different piece of furniture for a dollhouse. I was a little confused and maybe even somewhat disappointed - I had asked for a dollhouse and there wasn't one in sight - I thought these smaller items must be for another time and I wouldn't be getting the dollhouse for Christmas. But after all the gifts were opened and I was resigned to the fact that I would have to wait a bit longer, my grandpa made a grand entrance with an absolutely beautiful three-story dollhouse that he had made for me with his own two hands. I get a little emotional just thinking about it! Later, my dad helped me wire it up with lights and my mom would often take me to the hobby shop to pick out some new piece of furniture as a reward for good behavior or good grades, etc. Definitely one of my favorite gifts of all time.

2. Another year, probably earlier than the Christmas above, I had asked for a bicycle. I got up Christmas morning thinking that it would be by the tree, left by Santa, but instead there was a big box. My dad had purchased the bike unassembled so that he and I could put it together ourselves. I really treasured that time with him and appreciated the bike all the more knowing that I had helped assemble it!

There are several more, and the thing they all have in common is that they weren't necessarily the most expensive or "popular" items - they made memories.

What are your favorite and/or most memorable gifts?
Merry Christmas, everybody - remember to make it special!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment