Friday, October 29, 2010

Who Needs Halloween?

As I was combing through boxes of old photos last night, I came to a realization (actually, a few realizations.)  

1.  I don't think my family was much for Halloween when I was little.
2.  I have gotten ooooollllldddd.
3.  Apparently, I have ridden an elephant.  How do you not remember riding a full sized elephant???
4.  Years 1 and 2 of my life were a really unfortunate phase for my noggin.  I had a HUGE head, and not much hair.  At first I was a little dismayed that there are more pictures of my sister (who was 2 at the time) than there are of me as infant.  However, that feeling quickly morphed into gratitude, as I realized that my parents were sparing me the lifelong memories of my first REALLY awkward stage.

Though I didn't find photographic evidence, I do remember trick or treating with my cousins at least once.  It was sixth or seventh grade, and I was a cow. Let's rephrase - I was dressed as a cow.  I distinctly remember attaching black felt spots to white sweats, and painstakingly painting my entire face and head (I had a bald cap on) white with black spots.  That picture apparently resides at my parents house, which is truly a shame.  But let me show you what I did find....

Not Halloween:

Also not Halloween:

Not Halloween here either:





Finally, Halloween:




And not just Halloween, but one of the worst Halloween memories I have on record.  I was going to a party being thrown by the cousin of my boyfriend at the time.  Being the naive 22 year old that I was, I wore this little get up with a black long sleeved shirt, black pants, and a tail.  (I made that collar myself, and I was terribly proud.)  I was by far the most modestly dressed female at the party, but that wasn't the problem.  A very drunk family member (who I was meeting for the first time) introduced himself by way of a VERY inappropriate comment about my costume, and it's relation to my boyfriend, within 5 minutes of our arrival.  I was mortified.  As was my boyfriend.  Though we dated off and on for 5 years, I never got over the awkwardness with the family member in question.  Good times.


I have to concur with Amelia.  Who needs Halloween as an excuse to dress up?  I'll take random costuming and less scary movie commercials any day of the week. 

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment