Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Playing dress-up

There's either a huge gap in my memory, or there really was a long span of time when I didn't dress up for Halloween...I remember childhood costumes, but I can't for the life of me remember dressing up in junior high or high school. We always did something at my (private, Christian) school where we would dress up as Bible characters in junior high, and I guess Halloween just wasn't that big a deal to me in high school. Or, as I said, my memory is shot :)

College was a different story altogether! Halloween was a HUGE deal at Millsaps and EVERYBODY dressed up and went to the fraternity houses, where there were bands or DJs, for a long night of fun. I'm kinda proud of the fact that I have never, that I recall, bought or rented a Halloween costume. And so, it is with great pride that I present, in all their homemade glory, my college costumes:

1996 - Freshman year. That's me on the right. We were going for "futuristic alien girls from outer space" but it ended up more like "shiny go-go girls"...oh well.


1997 - Sophomore year. That's me on the bottom left. Somewhere there's a better picture of this costume, but it's probably fairly obvious that I was a ballerina. Sidenote: the day after this picture was taken I ended up in the hospital with a kidney stone. I was in a little bit of pain that night, but I thought it was the tights pinching my side!

1998 - Junior year. That's me on the left, with the beard. I am either Moses or Noah. My roommate had an identical costume. So if she was Noah, I was Moses, and vice versa. I think I was Moses. I actually loved this costume. I was anonymous under all that hair!


1999 - Senior year. Biker chick. Hardcore. I've actually worn this costume several times since then. It's fairly easy to pull together and COMFORTABLE! Jeans, t-shirt, boots - perfect!

It's looking like this Halloween might be the first time in a long time that I don't dress up. We've been so busy, and just put it off, and now I don't know what I'm going to do. I wanted to be Coraline, but I don't think I have time to make it happen. So...it might be another biker chick year!

As for Asher, I think we have finally decided that he is going to be Shaun from Shaun of the Dead.
We're not quite sure how we're going to do the moustache/goatee, but we'll figure something out.
Happy costuming, everyone!!

2 comments:

  1. E, you always have the most creative Halloween costumes. Like when you were Dana from Ghostbusters...where are those pictures? And having Ash be the Stay Puffed Marshmallow Man, awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the costumes! I don't think I ever saw pics of the Moses/Noah costume - that's awesome! We used eyeliner for Aidan's cowboy mustache last year, just in case you want an idea to try. Can't wait to see pics of Ash!

    ReplyDelete