Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Sweeney Larder

Larder - that word just makes me chuckle. You know what else made me chuckle? When I was told what our topic is for the week. Meal planning? HA! I have tried to get consistent with that for a looooong time, to no avail. I'm not giving up necessarily, it's just one of those things that doesn't really seem to make it to the top of the priority list.

Since my husband is the stay-at-home parent, he does most of the grocery shopping. I really appreciate this, but he doesn't often shop with actual "meals" in mind. We're pretty good at staying stocked up with the basics, but I often look through my recipe books trying to find something to whip together and I'll have everything I need except __________, and it's usually a pretty key ingredient. Oh, and our list is NEVER organized by the items' location in the store. We just add things as we think of them and then hope we don't have to retrace our steps too often.

So what usually happens is that we just throw meals together on the fly. I have about 10 recipes that are always on standby that are simple, relatively fast, and we typically have everything needed to make. It's not perfect, but it usually works out. I know it would be much easier if I would plan ahead and recruit Adam to do some prep work before I get home. Maybe we'll get there eventually!!

No comments:

Post a Comment