Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Short

It’s late, so this will be a quick one…

When Adam and I moved into our first (and only) house, it was sparkly clean and spotless. The sellers had actually hired cleaners to come in and give the place a good once-over. It was lovely. And, as is typical with any new, special thing, we promised to try to keep it that way. Now, Adam and I aren’t total slobs, but we’re not exactly winning any housekeeping contests, either. Our homes look lived in (because they are), sometimes a little too much so, but never outrageously, alarmingly filthy or anything like that. You know, average. In hopes of staying a little bit more on top of things, especially those things that tend to go unnoticed or neglected until it’s a MAJOR ordeal, I proposed the idea of a housekeeping schedule. I’ll let you guess how that went over with my hubby. He felt more confident than I did that we would just naturally be more conscientious with the house than we had with our apartments. Without him on board, I knew the schedule was pretty pointless, and the subject was dropped.

Fast forward three years and one baby later, and boy, if I thought getting housework done was hard before, I had another think coming! OF COURSE, we fell back into old habits, letting things slide a little at a time and then having to work doubly hard to fix everything up. And now that Asher is crawling all over the place, he’s showing us all kinds of areas that are in need of a little extra attention! Realizing that our current system (or lack thereof) wasn't working, and being the list-making scheduler that I am, my mind went back to the housekeeping schedule as a solution to solve the issue of what needs to get done vs. time available to do it. Ever so carefully and cautiously, I re-introduced the idea to my other half. This time, I think he’s seen the light. A cheerfully color-coded schedule is now stuck to the fridge; we’re still working out some kinks, but I think it’s going to be a good thing. If only we could still get an allowance for this stuff, right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment