Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Just Resting?

I was driving through the Walmart parking lot this morning and looped around the front of the store to turn down another aisle. As I turned, I noticed a man lying on his stomach, right next to a bench near the entrance of the store. His head was facing me, and I could tell that his eyes were open. As it registered what I saw, I was already turning onto the aisle. I put the car in reverse and rolled the window down. There was only one other person out in front of the store, which seems pretty rare for Walmart. She was trying to ask him if he was okay, and I asked her if I should call 911. She pulled her cell phone out and started dialing. There was a fire truck out in front of the store, so we knew someone inside would most likely be able to help him. A man walked up and started asking what was going on. He took the guys pulse and started asking him questions. The man responded that he was okay and also said that he was "just resting." I don't think so! His body looked like dead weight. I went to park the car, because I figured the situation was under control at that point. By the time I got the girls out (Aidan was at school) and got to the door, a few other people had gathered around. They all pulled the man up onto the bench in a sitting position. He still looked really out of it, and this whole ordeal really stuck with me the entire time we were in the store. In fact, it brought tears to my eyes as I was parking right after seeing him on the ground. Nobody was there with him. Did he have a wife or children? Someone who had no clue what was going on with him? Poor guy. As I checked out, I asked one of the employees if he was okay. I had seen her come out to check on the situation. She said that it was a blood pressure issue and that he had been taken to the hospital. She said that he was more responsive and doing better by the time they took him. Such a weird situation. And I haven't been able to get it out of my head ever since. I hope and pray that he is okay. I don't think there's anything I could have specifically done to help, but I hate those moments when you feel completely helpless. Maybe God uses those situations to teach us that sometimes all we can do is pray. Thankfully, He can do so much more than that.

Side note: The shoe lady that I blogged about a long time ago.... I saw her in Walmart, and apparently, she works there now. I am so glad to know she is gainfully employed. And her shoes matched. :) I wonder where I will see her next.

No comments:

Post a Comment