Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Halloween

I figure I might as well blog this week about the reason I didn't blog last week :)

I know Halloween has these horrible pagan roots and what-have-you, but since most people couldn't even tell you the details of those roots, I feel perfectly OK with enjoying what it is now - a chance to put on a fun costume, decorate the front yard, and pass out candy to cute little kids! In Halloweens past, I have dressed up as: Wonder Woman (probably my all-time favorite costume, made by my mom!), a cowgirl, a ballerina, a biker chick, an alien, Moses (truly hilarious; if I have time in the next few days I'll scan a picture and add it!), a little kid at a slumber party, and, for the past two years, Zuul (from Ghostbusters). I have never bought a ready-made costume; they are always either homemade or put together with stuff I already have (or find at thrift stores etc.).

So this year was obviously baby Asher's first Halloween. I spent some time looking online at the adorable infant costumes, but felt somewhat uninspired and ultimately decided that if Adam and I have never bought a costume for Halloween, we shouldn't buy one for Asher either! Adam wanted Ash to be Magnum P.I., but we couldn't think of a good way to put a mustache on a baby. Then, in a flash of inspiration, I had it - the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. Done and done.

Which leads us to why I didn't get around to blogging last week. As usual, I grossly underestimated the amount of time it would take to make a Stay Puft Marshmallow Man costume. Every night last week after Asher went to bed, I stayed up figuring out how to make this costume happen and, subsequently, constructing it. However, it was sooooo worth it!!! Ash was the cutest little marshmallow man I've ever seen! He didn't even seem to mind the hat (definitely the kicker!).

As Beth said, I know he won't remember being the "cutest little marshmallow man" ever, but it still makes for a great memory, and I think we've got him off on the right foot with Halloween costumes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment