Friday, November 27, 2009

Yummy Goodness

I was looking for something a little different to contribute to Thanksgiving dinner this year, and I found a scrumptious recipe that I just have to share. I typically use AllRecipes when I'm looking for something new, and occasionally food blogs like Smitten Kitchen, or The Pioneer Woman Cooks. However, I happened upon a blog I haven't seen before, Plain Chicken, when searching for Nutella recipes the other day. And it was quite a lucky find. This recipe is definitely NOT healthy, but is certainly tasty.  I bring you...drumroll please...Nutella Gooey Butter Cake:


Nutella Gooey Butter Cake
adapted from Paula Deen

Cake:
1 (18 1/4-ounce) package devil's food cake mix
1 egg
8 tablespoons butter, melted


Filling:
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 cup Nutella
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
8 tablespoons butter, melted
1 (16-ounce) box powdered sugar


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine the cake mix, egg, and butter and mix well with an electric mixer. Pat the mixture into the bottom of a lightly greased 13 by 9-inch baking pan.


To make the filling: In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and Nutella until smooth. Add the eggs, vanilla, and butter, and beat together. Next, add the powdered sugar and mix well. Spread Nutella mixture over cake batter and bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Make sure not to overbake as the center should be a little gooey.

I wasn't sure on the timing of this one.  It really didn't appear to be done, but with the warning not to overbake, I didn't want to leave it in too long.  I baked it for about 45 minutes, pulled it out while it was still jiggly, and behold: 





Not a great picture, but I somehow failed to photograph an individual piece in all its' oozy glory - which is really a shame.  It sank quite a bit in the middle as it cooled, which looked a little odd, but didn't affect the taste in my opinion.   This was so stinking good!  I will say, a little piece was definitely plenty.  This was almost too sweet and very rich, but it received lots of compliments.  If you're a Nutella lover, this one is a must-try.  I think I would probably bake it just a little longer next time, because I thought the center was just a tad too oozy gooey, but all in all, this was a success!  


I'd love to hear some of your Thanksgiving contributions.  I'm always looking for something to add to the rotation, so let's hear it.  What did you bring to the feast this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment