Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Shoe Lady

This may not seem weird to anyone else, but it does to me... and it's fresh on my brain, so that's why I'm writing about it.  I almost forgot it was my day to blog, but I will just chalk that up to an unusually crazy week.  

So six months ago or more, I was driving down the Main St. that we lived near.  I saw a lady crossing the busy street as I was at a light, and I noticed she had two different shoes on.  One of the shoes was a Croc type, and the other was an older tennis shoe with a decent hole in the top.  So that got me curious.  As I went through the light and down the block, I really felt like I should turn around and see if I could help her somehow.  She had gotten a few blocks off Main St., but I found her near the Library.  I pulled over and rolled down my window.  I think she thought I was a little crazy when I asked her if she needed some shoes.  I offered to get her some, and she just chuckled as she said something like, "Now why do you want to buy me shoes?!"  So I said that I had noticed she had two different ones on as she was crossing the street, and she goes on to explain how she had a surgery and has the holy tennis shoe because that's all she could comfortably wear at the time.  But she didn't really explain why she didn't have the other tennis shoe on the other foot... and she had a plastic bag (maybe just a book she was returning to the library?) and looked like she was possibly homeless.  But then she probably couldn't have afforded surgery, right?  I left feeling a bit confused and wondering if I should have just gone and gotten her shoes anyway even though she said she didn't need them.  Okay, so that was a little weird, but then I have seen her between five and ten times since then in random places.  I've seen her walking down the street.  I've seen her at the store.  And tonight, I saw her outside 7-Eleven as I was walking to my car.  It makes me smile every time I see her, because I just think it's so strange that God keeps allowing our paths to cross.  I have no idea if I'm supposed to do something for her (She did have two of the same, nice-looking tennis shoes on this time, but she looked a little lost.  She gave me a really nice smile, though.) or if I'm just supposed to slightly happy, slightly weird feeling every time I see her.  I don't know?!  

No comments:

Post a Comment