Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Simple Life

As life becomes more and more full, busy, and complicated, I often find myself pondering ways to simplify it. So that's probably my biggest interest right now - finding ways to scale back, acquire less, spend less, waste less, and live more "green". I used to think my parents were so square and ridiculous for making us turn out the lights when we left a room and stuff like that, but now I get it! I'm all about turning out lights, unplugging things when they're not in use, recycling everything possible, and using more earth-friendly products. Some of our recent efforts include switching to cloth diapers and wipes, replacing burned-out lightbulbs with those super-energy-efficient ones, and taking reusable bags when we go shopping. Something else "interesting" that I've recently switched to (this might fall under the category of TMI) is the Diva Cup, which is an alternative to standard feminine hygiene products. I'll admit there was a rather sizable adjustment period/learning curve, but I'm definitely a convert now. It's stuff like that that I really enjoy finding - little-known options that have a big impact without a big dollar investment. Goals for the near future include 1)growing more of our own food and 2) giving away/selling a BUNCH of stuff (there's just no reason for 2 adults and a toddler to be outgrowing a 1600 square foot house!!!). I am also really interested in trying out this thing called the Sabertec Blade - it attaches to the tailpipe of your car to reduce air pollution and make your gas burn more efficiently. Apparently you can get as much as six miles more out of each gallon!

I have a lot more to learn, and a long way to go before I could be considered an eco-warrior, but I'm a firm believer that every little bit helps! So I'll keep looking for ideas and trying new things in my quest for a more simple and sustainable existence.

Erica

2 comments:

  1. WOW to the Diva Cup...I have never even heard of it. I am seriously impressed that you use it. Way to be green!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you not share that?! I am also seriously impressed.

    ReplyDelete